Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Module 4 - Geoprocessing




In Module 4, I was reacclimated into the ArcGIS geoprocessing framework, exploring its significance and utility in spatial data analysis. Geoprocessing involves a series of actions that manipulate geographic data to produce desired results. Within ArcGIS, geoprocessing enables spatial analysis, modeling, and task automation using various tools. These tools are categorized into five types, System Tools, Built-in Tools, Custom Tools, Model Tools, and Script Tools. During the lab assignment, I had hands-on experience with different geoprocessing tools, which proved to be immensely valuable. I utilized ModelBuilder to create a step-by-step process where the model aimed to clip soil data to a basin extent, filter unsuitable farming areas, and generate a final output displaying suitable farming zones. Additionally,  I created a Python script to work with hospital data. First, I added XY coordinates to a shapefile called "hospitals" from my student drive. Then, I made a 1,000-meter buffer around each hospital. Finally, I combined all the buffers into one feature using the Dissolve tool. This script helps organize and analyze hospital data more effectively.





No comments: