Thursday, June 20, 2024

Module 6 - Working Geometries



Module 6 consisted of turning river data into a neat TXT file. The mission was simple—grab the coordinates and IDs for vertices in a shapefile. First, I set up my workspace, ready for action. With ArcPy as my trusty tool, I created a search cursor to fetch the OID, geometry (SHAPE@), and NAME fields. It felt like being a digital detective, diving into the shapefile to uncover hidden data gems.

With my search cursor ready, I opened the TXT file in write mode, eager to fill it with vertex data. Each feature got its own vertex ID counter, ensuring no vertex was left behind. As I looped through the features and their vertices, I felt like an explorer mapping out new territory. Extracting X and Y coordinates from each vertex was like finding coordinates on a treasure map. I wrote down the details OID, vertex ID, X coordinate, Y coordinate, and river name while also printing them to the console to keep tabs on my progress.

Finally, after capturing all the vertex data, I closed the TXT file and did a quick verification dance. The file looked great, filled with well-organized data ready for use. This exercise showed me that even technical tasks can be fun and rewarding. It was a great mix of learning and coding, proving that GIS programming can be productive and enjoyable.



No comments: